In this feature our master of ceremonies provides reviews,
news and notes from the world of poetry.
In this edition Charlie tells you about:
To hear Charlie's commentary click on the [ Download ] or [ Stream ] links.
- Five Scholarship Programs for High School Seniors
- The Book: A Grain of Poetry by Herbert Kohl
Scholarships for High School Seniors
KAY TITUS MORMINO MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
MARGARET DUFFIELD MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
ANN ATWOOD MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
GERALDINE C. LITTLE MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
The awarding of these scholarships in amounts from $200 to $500, for a total of $1,650, will be based on the five best haiku by high school seniors. Eligibility and rules are:
[Please, by all means, inform the principals of your local high schools about the availability of these scholarships.]
- The contest is open to haiku submitted by students in the United States and Canada who are high school seniors during the current 1999-2000 academic year.
- Each entrant may submit up to three haiku.
- Each entrant's set of haiku should be on one sheet of paper. The entrant's name and address are to appear in the upper left corner, and the name and address of the entrant's high school plus the principal's name are to be placed in the upper right corner.
- The haiku must be the original creation of the student who submits them.
- Entries must be received (not postmarked) by March 11, 2000.
- The haiku will be judged by the editor of Modern Haiku, with the assistance of a panel of recognized haiku poets if it is deemed desirable by the editor.
- The winning haiku will be published in the summer 2000 issue of Modern Haiku.
- The decision of the editor or panel will be final.
- Entrants should keep a copy of their haiku as entries will not be returned.
- Entries are to be sent to:
Modern Haiku Scholarship Contest
P.O. Box 1752
Madison, WI 53701-1752
A Grain of Poetry
Some of the poets featured in "A Grain of Poetry" by Herbert Kohl
Victor Hernandez Cruz
W. D. Snodgrass
William Carlos Williams
Why not pick up a copy from Barnes&Noble?
Click the link to order your copy now.
A Grain of Poetry: How to Read Contemporary Poems and Make Them a Part of Your Life
Return to PoetryPoetry's vault.